Thursday, November 18, 2010

Seaman on my Bed

I love Corvallis. Everything is familiar and it feels like a home away from home. I walk into the office and am overwhelmed by the hugs I get. Mostly from men, I might add. What is wrong with the men of America – aren’t men supposed to shake hands and not hug? But I’m not complaining – it feels good to get such a warm welcome.
There is a brew fest in Albany. We have VIP passes and we are supporting a good cause - we are raising funds for the Boys and Girls Club. Many large screens around the hall are showing the game. It’s my first football game in a while and I watch. UCLA wins by a last second (that’s right, last second) field goal! Hopefully, next week’s home game will turn out better.
From there we move to house behind Rays for pina coladas. P’s got this new blender which he puts to good use. V tells us that proper pina coladas have to be made with real bananas. She might have a point there, because it goes down smooth and easy. Soon the bottle of rum is gone and Jan and I move to the Peacock where there are quite a few people gathered. We go upstairs to dance the night away. I meet Steve who immediately starts hitting on me. I get worried after a while and try to talk him out of him. It turns out that he was joking but I still have my suspicions. We finish off at the El Presidente (where else) with one hundred push ups. The forced workouts that I had to endure have done their job – I out-push up everyone else at the bar.
Work hard and party harder becomes my motto. Its veteran’s day and I take half a day off. P and I go out looking for a bed that he wants to buy. He tries out various mattresses at the store by laying on each of them in turn. Join me, he yells at me, trying to embarrass me and gets a few laughs from the onlookers. I laugh too, little knowing that it was going to come true all too soon. We come back and hit the El Presendente and then the Peacock. P is a veteran too. He was in the navy - a seaman! Well, apparently the girls at the Peacock like seamen, and P gets his 15 minutes of fame. Somebody calls for shots and at that point, I knew that I could never let P drive home. I take him back to my room at the Holiday Inn and he takes my bed. Well, he got what he asked for, I guess, though it is nightmarish for me – Seaman on my bed! Ughhh!
The game sucks. It’s cold and raining and tailgating becomes an effort. We have great seats but for once we wish that we could see less of the game. I bet $10 against the Beavers – it’s not really a gamble. I am certain to win. All in all, the Beavers play true to their name. They are the Beavers and they play like @#$%s (insert the crude word for Beaver here).
The after game party takes us to the Peacock where I meet Bri. Bri is wearing a jacket that she tells us that she will only take it off if she can get one more drink. Well, that is a condition that is easily remedied. Unfortunately, Bri does has to work in the morning and does leaves early. It might have been interesting to find out how many drinks the other articles of clothing would have needed.

1 comment:

  1. Called the number. Still waiting for my good time
    - You know who

    ReplyDelete